Photo by Krista MacRae
Lighthouse Keeper Duties
The lighthouse keepers of old were kept busy ensuring that the lighthouse and grounds were well maintained, along with the required paperwork.
The Statement of Duties for the keepers as given by the Civil Service of Canada in an Efficiency Rating Form reads as follows:
- To operate the light (vapour) and maintain the mechanical and other equipment of this station in good condition
- To make minor repairs and improvements to the buildings and grounds; to prepare and forward Monthly Report forms
- To prepare and forward each October an Inventory of all supplies and equipment at the station
- To keep the station in working order during the following season to paint the lighthouse lantern inside and out each spring, and all station buildings when ordered by the inspector
- To perform other related work as required.